Do My Gutters Affect My Basement?July 1, 2017
Should I Worry About Cracks In My Basement Walls?September 4, 2017
How To Prepare For End Of Summer Rain in WNY
Here at Basement Technologies of Western NY Inc., we pride ourselves on being honest and informative with our customers. We spend a lot of time talking to each customer about their basement and yard problems during the initial phone call to see if there are things they can do that are much cheaper than what we will propose, but also things that need to be done with or without the work we will propose. Helping customers is very important. With that, preparing for the Rochester and Buffalo rainy season can save you thousands or even tens-of- thousands of dollars! Excessive water is by far the #1 reason for foundation repair, failing interior waterproofing systems, and yard drainage problems.
- Make sure your gutters are clean. Sometimes multiple cleanings are needed at the end of summer until the winter season.
- Test and snake all exterior drainage lines. You can test for clogs in the exterior gutter lines and French-drain cleanouts by trying to fill the line up with a garden hose. If the water backs up out of the line, it’s clogged. It is always a good idea to have these snaked and checked with a camera every 2 years or more often if a lot of debris accumulates in your gutters.
- Bring the grading up around your home so the surface water moves away from your home.
- Extend gutter downspouts or connect to storm drains or other runoff locations. Even if your town does not allow you to connect to storm drains, there are other ways to move the water away.
- DRY UP YOUR YARD! Those wet spots are spots of extreme saturation that may cause extensive foundation wall damage.
Although these items are very important, if you have water coming through the basement walls, cracks in the basement walls, or water pooling in your yard, those things MUST be addressed. These maintenance items may give you some reprieve from your failing waterproofing system, but they are not the answer. Please call us to set up an appointment to permanently fix your failing waterproofing systems, foundation issues, and exterior drainage problems.